Instrument Rental Office
Each year, IPSF rents over 2,000 high quality musical instruments at affordable prices to students in the Irvine Unified School District. Proceeds support music programs across the district. The Instrument Rental program offers parents a less expensive alternative to purchasing a new instrument that may only be used for a short time. This innovative program has raised more than $1 million over the years to support Irvine’s music program.
The Instrument Rental office is open Monday – Thursday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. and is closed for both School and Federal Holidays.
If these office hours do not work for you, please contact the Instrument Rental office at 949.786.1278 to arrange another time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Foundation part of the Irvine Unified School District?
No, the Irvine Public Schools Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports the Irvine Unified School District.
What are the Instrument Rental Prices?
|Instrument Type||New Condition||Standard Condition||Fair Condition|
|Violins, Violas, Flutes, Clarinets, Trumpets & Trombones||$28.00/month||$24.00/month||$20.00/month|
|Cellos & Alto Saxophones||$48.00/month||$45.00/month||$40.00/month|
Where is your office?
On the campus of Rancho San Joaquin Middle School: 4861 Michelson Drive, Irvine, CA 92612 | 949.786.1278
What do I do if the instrument needs to be repaired?
All repairs must be done by the Irvine Public Schools Foundation. Please contact us if you have a problem with your instrument.
How do I make payments?
You must pay for your instrument rental with a monthly credit card authorization or echeck for automatic payments. You may choose to pay for the entire year up front, however, a credit card must be kept on file in the event that you do not return your instrument at the end of the school year. You will then be charged the monthly rental amount for your instrument each month you have the instrument past the return date.
Will you send me a bill every month?
No, your credit card or bank account will be automatically charged each month in accordance with the contract you will sign.
Where do I return the instrument?
All instruments must be returned to our Instrument Rental office at 4861 Michelson Drive.
Can I keep the instrument over the summer?
Yes! However you will continue to be billed monthly rental payments as long as you keep the instrument.
Does your office close during the summer?
No. Please see office hours above.
Instrument Rental Day 2020 – 2021
Year-Round Calendar Schools | Saturday, July 25, 2020 **The appointment portal will be open Tuesday, July 21 at 8 a.m. to Friday, July 24 at 12 p.m.**
Traditional Calendar Schools | Saturday, September 12, 2020 **The appointment portal will be open Tuesday, September 8 at 8 a.m. to Friday, September 11 at 12 p.m.**
Time: 7:50 a.m. -12:50 p.m.
Location: Rancho San Joaquin Middle School | 4861 Michelson Dr. | Irvine, CA 92612 | 949.786.1278
To ensure your rental process goes as smoothly as possible, please read the information below carefully before you make your appointment!
For supplies only, there will be a separate table at Instrument Rental Day. Appointments are not necessary if you are only purchasing supplies. If you have an appointment, you may purchase extra supplies after you pick up your reserved instrument.
Before You Begin the Appointment Process
- Please make sure that you have a valid credit card handy. A credit card is mandatory to rent an instrument. We only accept Visa, Mastercard or Discover card. We do not accept American Express. If your credit card declines, everything in your basket will be returned to the inventory and you must start over.
- String instruments (Violin, Viola or Cello): If you are planning on renting a violin, viola or cello, make sure your child has already been sized by their music teacher to rent the correct size. Please do not guess the size of a string instrument! There will be no size exchanges on Instrument Rental Day and playing on the wrong size can severely affect a child’s playing ability.
When You Are Making Your Online Appointment
- There is a time limit of 15 minutes for each instrument transaction. After that, the instrument will be put back into inventory.
- Do not press the back button at any point during the transaction.
- A credit card is mandatory to rent an instrument. If your credit card declines, everything in your basket is returned to the inventory and you must start over.
- You will be asked to choose the condition of instrument you will be renting:
- New instruments are brand new and have never been used. This is a slightly more expensive rental fee. New baritones are $50 per month, new cellos and saxophones are $48 a month, and all other new instruments are $28 a month.
- Standard instruments are previously used. These may have some cosmetic flaws. On standard string instruments cosmetic flaws include very minor scratches, chips and/or professionally mended cracks, none of which affect sound quality or playability. Standard baritones, cellos, and saxophones are $45 a month, and all other new instruments are $28 a month.
- Fair instruments are older “well loved” instruments with multiple cosmetic flaws that do not affect the sound quality or playability of the instrument.
- Fair cellos and saxophones are $40 a month, and all other fair instruments are $20 a month. Fair condition baritones are not available.
- If the instrument you choose is not available, try choosing a different condition of the same instrument.
- You will be able to rent more than one instrument if you have more than one child during one session.
- Be sure to print all documents at the end of your transaction.
For Your Appointment
- You must bring the following documents that you printed after making your reservation and paying online:
- Your Instrument Rental Program Online Confirmation
- Your Rental Agreement
- The completed Instrument Rental Credit Card Authorization Form if paying by credit card (either monthly or in full)
- The completed Instrument Rental Electronic Check Payment Authorization Form if paying by eCheck (electronic check)
- You may purchase extra supplies for any instrument at check out, regardless of the instrument for which you had an appointment.
- Please remember that if you do not appear at the appointment time, your instrument and supplies will be placed back into general inventory and you will be refunded the payment minus a restocking fee of $50.