Instrument Rental Office
Instrument Rental Office
Each year, IPSF rents over 2,400 high quality musical instruments at affordable prices to students in the Irvine Unified School District. Proceeds support music programs across the district. The Instrument Rental program offers parents a less expensive alternative to purchasing a new instrument that may only be used for a short time. This innovative program has raised more than $1 million over the years to support Irvine’s music program.
Location: Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
Phone: 949. 786.1278
Program Manager: Sara Trask
We are so excited to be part of your musical experience this year. Whether you need to rent, size up or exchange an instrument, or have your current one tuned up, IPSF’s Instrument Rental office is open and here to assist you with all your needs from maintenance to supplies.
If you have moved your student to private lessons during virtual and hybrid learning, instruments can still be rented through IPSF Instrument Rental.
The Instrument Rental office is open Monday – Thursday, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. for returns, new instrument rentals, repairs, size-ups, and exchanges.
2023 IPSF INSTRUMENT RENTAL PROGRAM SUMMER HOURS
Please call 949-786-1278 to confirm the office hours as times may change.
The office is closed for both School and Federal Holidays.
To ensure the health and safety of our families, all instruments are cleaned and disinfected per NAMM and NFHS guidance. Additionally, during in person visits we are wearing masks, using hand sanitizer, and following social distancing guidelines.
Thank you for your support of Irvine Public Schools Foundation and music education in Irvine schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Instrument Rental Prices and what is included?
Can I purchase insurance for my instrument?
Customer Assurance Program
For a monthly fee of $5.00, IPSF will repair damaged instruments or replace lost or stolen instruments, contingent on the monthly instrument rental payments being paid timely and in full. Families remain responsible for intentional or reckless damage to the instrument.
What do I do if the instrument needs to be repaired?
All repairs must be done by Irvine Public Schools Foundation. If your instrument is in need of service or repair prior to the return dates, please contact us or visit the office during our current open hours. Please note that you are responsible for any damage or repairs needed to the instrument while it is in your possession.
Customer Assurance Program
An option is available as part of the rental contract called the Customer Assurance Program. For a monthly fee of $5.00, IPSF will repair damaged instruments or replace lost or stolen instruments, contingent on the monthly instrument rental payments being paid timely and in full. Families remain responsible for intentional or reckless damage to the instrument.
How will I be charged?
When you pick up the instrument, you will be charged a non-refundable deposit equal to three months of rental fees. If you select monthly payments, your designated credit card or bank account will be automatically charged beginning three months after the rental date and will continue as long as you have instrument, even if your child is not using it.
If you choose to pay for the entire year upfront, a credit card must be kept on file in the event that you do not return your instrument at the end of the school year. You will then be charged the monthly rental amount for your instrument each month for as long as you have the instrument, even if your child is not using it.
What do I do with my instrument now that school is over?
You have 3 options for your instrument rental:
1. RETURN THE INSTRUMENT TO THE INSTRUMENT RENTAL OFFICE
You may drop off your instrument in our office during normal business hours. Please note, as long as you have the instrument in your possession, whether your student is playing the instrument or not, the automatic monthly credit card rental payments will continue. Once the instrument is returned, the automatic monthly credit card rental payments will be stopped. Did you pay in full for the 2022-2023 school year rental period? If so, on July 1, 2023, a new rental period begins, and we will start automatic monthly credit card rental payments unless the instrument is returned.
2. KEEP THE INSTRUMENT OVER THE SUMMER AND INTO THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
The rental contract and automatic credit card rental payments will continue as long as you keep the instrument. You do not need to tell us if you decide to keep the instrument. Size ups and exchanges take place when the 2023-2024 school year begins.
Did you pay in full for the 2022-2023 school year rental period? If so, on July 1, 2023, a new rental period begins and we will start automatic monthly credit card rental payments. Please call our office at 949.786.1278 to update credit card payment information or if you would like to pay for the next year of rental in advance.
3. PURCHASE THE INSTRUMENT
Contact IPSF Instrument Rental Program Manager, Sara Trask, at 949.786.1278 or email@example.com to learn more about purchase options.
IPSF’s Instrument Rental Day for traditional scheduled schools will take place on Saturday, August 5. Appointments are required for all new rentals and can be made online beginning Wednesday, August 2.
Instrument Rental Appointment Process
Making a New Instrument Rental Appointment
2023-2024 Instrument Rental Appointment Sign Ups
Book An Appointment from Wednesday, August 2, at 8 a.m. to Friday, August 4, at 12 noon at www.ipsf.net/rental
What you MUST DO ONLINE BEFORE Instrument Rental Day:
- Choose your instrument(s), supplies, and rental payment options.
- Complete a parent profile and select an appointment time to pick up your instrument and supplies on Instrument Rental Day, Saturday, August 5.
- Check out and receive a confirmation of your appointment and rental.
- Print the Credit Card Authorization Form and bring it to your appointment on Saturday, August 5.
In order for IPSF to provide a quick and efficient rental experience, please arrive on time and bring your printed rental agreement. IPSF’s Instrument Rental office is located at Rancho San Joaquin Middle School, 4861 Michelson Drive, Irvine.
How to Size Up or Instrument Exchange
If your student needs the next size string instrument or your student has decided that they would like to change to a flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, or baritone: Come to the IPSF Instrument Rental Office to exchange or get a bigger size.
No appointment needed for size ups or exchanges.
Open Monday, July 24 to Friday, July 28, 12:00 p.m.– 5:00 p.m.
Strings: All students must be sized by their music teacher in class. Come to the IPSF Instrument Rental Office after your student is sized. There will be no sizing in the IPSF office.
Before You Begin the Appointment Process
- Please make sure that you have a valid credit card handy. A credit card is mandatory to rent an instrument. We only accept Visa, Mastercard or Discover card. We do not accept American Express. If your credit card declines, everything in your basket will be returned to the inventory and you must start over.
- String instruments (Violin, Viola or Cello): If you are planning on renting a violin, viola or cello, make sure your child has already been sized by their music teacher to rent the correct size. Please do not guess the size of a string instrument! There will be no size exchanges during your appointment and playing on the wrong size can severely affect a child’s playing ability.
When You Are Making Your Online Appointment
- There is a time limit of 15 minutes for each instrument transaction. After that, the instrument will be put back into inventory.
- Do not press the back button at any point during the transaction.
- A credit card is mandatory to rent an instrument. If your credit card declines, everything in your basket is returned to the inventory and you must start over.
- You will be asked to choose the condition of instrument you will be renting, see pricing for specific instruments here:
- New instruments are brand new and have never been used.
- Standard instruments are previously used. These may have some cosmetic flaws. On standard string instruments cosmetic flaws include very minor scratches, chips and/or professionally mended cracks, none of which affect sound quality or playability.
- Fair instruments are older “well loved” instruments with multiple cosmetic flaws that do not affect the sound quality or playability of the instrument.
- If the instrument you choose is not available, try choosing a different condition of the same instrument.
- An option is available as part of the rental contract called the Customer Assurance Program. For a monthly fee of $5.00, IPSF will repair damaged instruments or replace lost or stolen instruments, contingent on the monthly instrument rental payments being paid timely and in full. Families remain responsible for intentional or reckless damage to the instrument.
- You will be able to rent more than one instrument if you have more than one child during one session.
- Be sure to print the Credit Card Authorization Form at the end of your transaction.
For Your Appointment
- You must bring the following documents that you printed after making your reservation and paying online:
- Your Instrument Rental Program Online Confirmation
- The completed Instrument Rental Credit Card Authorization Form if paying by credit card (either monthly or in full)
- The completed Instrument Rental Electronic Check Payment Authorization Form if paying by eCheck (electronic check)
- You may purchase extra supplies for any instrument at check out, regardless of the instrument for which you had an appointment.
- Please remember that if you do not appear at the appointment time, your instrument and supplies will be placed back into general inventory and you will be refunded the payment minus a restocking fee of $50.
Current Health & Safety Precautions
To ensure the health and safety of our families, all instruments are cleaned and disinfected per NAMM and NFHS guidance. Rentals are by appointment only, and all visitors are required to wear masks, and follow social distancing guidelines.